Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Cookies



It was a Christmas tradition of mine to make hundreds of cookies, usually with my nieces Nancy and Linda.  I would take a platter for each teacher to the school on Sunday afternoon and place one on each teacher's desk to greet them on Monday morning.  I would make big platters as Christmas gifts for the relatives until one of them said "Oh, just what we need, sigh." and then that was the end of that! I have not baked large amounts of cookies for years or even small amounts.  But for some reason yesterday I hankered for those dessert cookies; the recipe was published by the Dispatch in November.  I had submitted it three years ago, and for some reason, it popped up this year reminding me how good they are. So I doubled the recipe yesterday and it filled three tins, one of which disappeared last night.  They are better the next day, but still yummy right away. They are not beauties but simple cake-like cookies that everyone smacks their lips in delight when they taste them.

I had the kitchen in disarray like you would not believe and both dishwashers were full and running steadily.  All the counters were full and I just did not remember that cookies sound simple, but if you don't have someone else in the kitchen to take up some slack, not so simple. (The three dogs were NO help.) Nor was the husband.

The cookie recipe, dessert cookies, was in a little hand done recipe booklet that came to me from Lavonn Rogers someone  who antiqued with me sometimes.  Every recipe that I tried in that rag-tag booklet turned out to be delicious.  It is as though only the tried and true recipes made it into this little, now valuable, addition to my recipe drawers.

Alyssa and Beth are baking cookies Saturday.  I will try to get them to try some of the recipes from this booklet so that they too can pass on some of these gems.  As for me, I've done my cookies for the year (now that the kitchen is back in order) and now I am going to hide the rest of these treats on the sun porch where they will be cool and safe.

Happy baking...if that is what makes you happy.

See.  Rag-tag but good

Just now

No comments:

Post a Comment

To the doctor

We are off to the doctor to have Andy checked out since he has had two falls.  We thought to wait until his appointment on the 20th, but aft...