Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Le Bourget

When Andy and I enter the show (brocante) Le Bourget Parc Expositions (not in Paris) in the dark at 7:00 a.m. my mind is like an engine pulling too many cars. Should I hit this dealer first or take it in order or try to figure out the row set up or go helter-skelter and let fate lead me to my choices of the morning.  I say morning because, by noon, it's over.  The French like to make their money fast and spend the rest of the day eating, smoking, drinking and having a good old time off in some obscure spot.  And should they be dining in their booth, don't ask them anything! Also, watch your feet.  The floor is covered with merchandise and I would hate to think that anyone was so silly as to expect the floor to be clear while gawkers everywhere were paying little attention to their feet.

So you might have guessed Le Bourget is inelegant as most French shows are.  In America we try to set up the most attractive show as possible, but here the merchandise needs a good wash, they may say there is no damage, butttt...buyer beware. Having written these negatives we have found some of the most glorious treasures in that building (or hut or airplane hanger.) I actually forget about the place because there are so many things to see, to buy, to bring home.  I loved it! Don't worry if the dealers seem to be packing up all the time.  I don't know why they do that but one thing they do do is bring out new merchandise through out the day.  Why they don't put it all out, I don't know.  Unless they don't have room for everything which is a good possibility or if they don't like your looks which is more likely.  You may think you have seen it all but go back and look again and there will be treasures that they have just unpacked. Go figure. You can speed by a booth and see nothing of interest and on the way back you buy 14 pieces of child-sized furniture. Look  again and there is the exact thing you want only dirtier than one could expect.  I have brought things home and before they go in the house I set them on the bricks and use the hair dryer or if sturdy the leaf blower on them.  They bake in the sun with baking soda sprinkled inside to make them smell better. After baking they get a final blow out.

I've written eight books about toy china, glass, furniture, and Bleuette and that is what we searched for.  It was the time of our lives and we enjoyed every minute of the experience right down to seeing the French spread their white linen table cloths on a shakey table, with a flourish, when lunch was in the works.  Writing about lunch I can taste the ham and grilled vegetables waiting for the dealers and customers...the ham so pink and succulent it made one forget to shop. We would order the lunch and drink a glass of wine (and I mean glass) while anticipating the meal. All this took place in a dirty setting, but one learns to dress for it, I always wore black in France and I fit right in; well not really fit in.  If you are not French you actually don't fit in period. Once you start buying big, things get friendlier and Andy and I had some great times with some of the dealers for many years, but one still feels American in a place where the French allow you to visit but expect you to go home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To the doctor

We are off to the doctor to have Andy checked out since he has had two falls.  We thought to wait until his appointment on the 20th, but aft...