Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Winter's hearty meals



Andy and I went to Carfagna's yesterday and I never get out of there with two or three items.  We left yesterday with a load, so today so far, I have two meals ready to go.  One is a hearty winter soup with Bob Evans zesty sausage and a meatloaf with Carfagna's ground chuck which was only $1.99 a pound yesterday.  A real bargain for quality meat. I have a lovely meatloaf in the oven with fresh herbs from the conservatory.  How they have made it in this cold snap is beyond me, but they seem to like it.  Note the new offering in the copper loaf pan with drain holes keeping the loaf from stewing in the fat.  I also bought two bags of unusual dried pasta.  You can see it in the soup.  I used that rather than beans this time.  My husband calls them my concoctions and we never know how they are going to turn out.  That's the fun of winter cooking.

Image may contain: food


It is too bad I did not write down the recipe (that I made up) for this soup.  It is one of the best I have ever done.  Not humble, but true just the same.  I just threw things in the pot with the chuck and the zesty Bob Evans sausage and so many other things that I wish I had noted.  Oh well, it is a big pot of soup to enjoy. Andy will love it when he comes home from class today.



Image may contain: food


Now I see yeast.  I'm inspired to use it.  It is too cold to stir outside and the snow is beautiful and undisturbed...I, for one, will keep it like that.









No comments:

Post a Comment

To the doctor

We are off to the doctor to have Andy checked out since he has had two falls.  We thought to wait until his appointment on the 20th, but aft...