Thursday, May 13, 2010

Sunday Desserts




I have to admit this, excuse me grandchildren, but I am a Bisquick Ho. If it has Bisquick in it, I am going to try it. It is the quickest, tastiest, treat a cook can use. I have even fed it to unsuspecting French guests in the form of fresh peach cobbler. Strawberry shortcake, however, is simply scrumptious. Especially with a dollop of sour cream in the batter to lighten the end product. Who can resist this treat? I am feeling badly, at this time of year, for those allergic to strawberries. Meanwhile, the rest of us can dig in.


Have you ever had a bite of something and it's so memorable that it stays with you for a long time?

Twenty years ago I went to one of my sister-in-laws shower for a daughter who was getting married. It was at a restaurant in Cincinnati, but Glenda, my sister-in-law, brought the cakes for dessert. It was Hawaiian wedding cake or, as I call it, Glenda's cake. This simple cake holds a special place in my recipe drawer, I can tell you that. Recently this recipe appeared in Cook's Corner in our Columbus Dispatch, so now I have two copies of this splendid cake. I don't have a picture, but the next time I bake this, which might be for this Sunday's meal, I'll post the picture in all of its glory.


Hawaiian Wedding Cake (Glenda's Cake)

1 package yellow cake mix

1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple WITH THE JUICES

1 package (8 ounces) softened cream cheese

2 cups milk

1 box (4 serving size) instant vanilla pudding mix

8 ounces cool whip

Coconut (optional--but I always use it)

Prepare cake according to package directions in a 13x9-inch baking dish. Cool the cake.

Poke holes in the cake with the handle of a wooden spoon. Pour pineapple WITH juices over the baked cake. Beat cream cheese until softened. Slowly add milk and pudding mix. Let stand until set. Spread over pineapple. Spread Cool Whip over pudding layer. I put coconut all over the top, but you can do as you like. Cover and refrigerate overnight.


No comments:

Post a Comment

To the doctor

We are off to the doctor to have Andy checked out since he has had two falls.  We thought to wait until his appointment on the 20th, but aft...